Obesity is a disease where the body fat increases, adding weight and affects the person, both physically and mentally. There are various types of obesity. One of them is morbid obesity. It is a multi-factorial metabolic disease that is lifelong, progressive and is genetically related.
Obesity is catching up as another major health problem, which has become common among all age groups. The primary reasons for obesity are junk food, unhealthy lifestyle and lack of physical activity. To cure obesity and related health disorders, it is better to undergo health check-ups regularly.
Causes of Obesity:
- When a person consumes more calories than he burns, the excess calories are stored in the form of fat, causing obesity.
- Genetic Factors – Obesity tends to run in the family of the patients, and they tend to accumulate fat. The diet and lifestyle habits of a family contribute to obesity.
- Environment – A person’s eating habits and lack of sufficient physical activities also leads to accumulation of excess fat. When a person consumes food having more calories and follows a sedentary lifestyle or work, then the calories get accumulated as fat.
- Psychological Disturbances – Humans tend to overeat while experiencing negative emotions as boredom, sadness or anger leads to obesity.
- Binge eating disorder.
- Diseases and Conditions – like Cushing’s syndrome, depression and specific neurological problems lead to overeating, which in turn leads to the accumulation of fat.
According to Ayurveda, causes of obesity are defined as:
- Avyayama: Lack of physical exercise
- Divaswapna: Sleeping in the afternoon
- Shleshmala Ahara Vihara: Diet and lifestyle changes Kapha
- Madhura Annaha: Consuming sweet