Shiro Roga Chikitsa (Headache Clinic)
The brain is the centre for registering sensations, correlating them with one another, store information, make decisions and take actions. It is the centre for vital activities of the body such as respirations, vision, speech and locomotion. It also controls intellect emotions, behaviours and memory.
The different regions of the brain are specialised for different functions. Different parts of the brain work together to accomplish certain shared functions. So it is rightly called as ‘Uttamanga’ as without which nothing can be possible.
In this busy and competitive world, the brain is put into more stress. In the rat race, man is neglecting the health of this vital organ leading to various diseases of head.
Headache is the most simple, but complicated condition which almost all persons on this earth have experienced. Headache is a pain arising from the head and upper neck of the body. Headache may be dull ache or sharp, throbbing, pricking, constant, intermittent mild pain or intense tight band like sensation in head.
Some of the common types of headaches are:
Migraine: It is the 3rd most common & 6th most debilitating diseases in the world according to WHO. In India, migraine is most common type of headache.
Tension headaches: It is the 2nd most common type of headache. The pain starts form sides of head and gradually radiates to neck, back of head eyes and other parts of the body.
Sinus headache: It is one of the common headaches which are seen in winter and rainy season. Due to dust allergy or nasal-infection, the para-nasal sinus around the nasal cavity becomes inflamed leading to sinus headache.
Trigeminal Neuralgia: It is neurological vascular and muscular problem. The pain is sharp and confined to distribution of nerves.
- Ayurveda suggests many preventive and curative treatments for headache:
- Body purification procedures such as Vamana, Virechana should be done at proper intervals as they help to relieve toxins from the body.
- Nasya Karma which is one of the Panchakarmas especially for head disorders should be done regularly to maintain health.
- Shiro Abhyanga helps for better blood circulation to the brain and the scalp.
- Shiro Pichu relieves anxiety tension and keeps the mind calm.
- Shirodhara helps to relieve the stress and improves the circulation there by maintains the hormonal variations.
- Shiro Basti helps to bring down the stress and helps to nourishment of the brain.
- Shamana Aushadis in the form of Rasayana, Balya helps to reduce the degeneration in the brain and normalises nerve conduction.